Monday, April 2, 2012

Great day out

Raukawa stop
Yesterday was a Ulysses ride to Whakapapa Ski Field. It was supposed to be an economy run so I took the LowRider for a look-see on the fuel usage question, but in expectation of a low turn-out, the ride was reverted to just an outing.
Never should have feared, it was a good turn-out, and I did my own fuel consumption test anyway.
So, off up the Parapara, where I was quickly into my usual spot at the tail of the field, been on bikes all my life, even did a patch of hill-climbing, sprinting, and minor racing in my 1500cc Anglia years ago, but I simply cant keep up with these guys.
The Parapara hills are in fine order with the good summer rain we've had, but not enough to feed Raukawa Falls, they were the lowest I've seen, when we stopped for the leg stretch. The road surface is pretty good these days too, with all the re-alignment and re-surfacing been done, lots of bikes going both directions.
In to National Park Rail Station for morning smoko, which like Ohakune Station has had a bit of a historical tourist attraction facelift. The food was excellent, choice cabinet stuff. The scones are legendary, and a few of the team lapped into the jam and cream, I had soup of the day, mushroom and noodle I think, not too bad.
Then it was up past the Chateau to Top o' the Bruce.
At National Park I was starting to get doubts about how much gas I had left, the gauge showing about quarter remaining, but when we started the climb, the needle dropped down to the empty post. Pulled over and had a discussion with Rob, not sure about which way the fuel cock should point to be on reserve or not, and decided to punt it was the climb that had sent the needle ballistic and carried on to the top of the road.
Most of the team had never been on the chairlift before, reminding me of the thrill and wonder of my first time on it. We negotiated a bulk discount for lift tickets, feeling pretty smug, then along comes Keith, pulling his gold card and getting the same for half the price!


Pinnacle Ridge..., they ski down there too
  So, up two levels of lift, was able to point out the Wanganui Ski Lodge where late member Ulyssian Hugh Gilberd and brother Richard were so devout in earlier years, and having a marvel at how the Waterfall Quad chairs derail onto an idler slow enough for you to get on and off, then clamp on for the acceleration out of the blocks. The food at the top cafe was sparse and expensive, so we just had a coffee while we marvelled at the steel and exposed beam structure of the new building, (the previous one burned down a couple of years back).
There were quite a few hikers and day trippers around, one of the cafe staff told us it was a 6 hour round hike to the Crater Lake and back. I recall once doing it with skis on my shoulder off the top of the Knoll Ridge poma in about an hour and a half to get up there, and a nice leisurely ski down, in my shirt sleeves on a sunny spring day.
However, today it was nippy enough, and a novel experience for me to look down at all the exposed snow-less rock, hard to imagine how there'd be enough snow to fill it in.
Anyway, bit of trepidation trying the around $15-17 menu items back at the Top o' Bruce Cafe, but we were in for a pleasant surprise, the tucker was good, Lou's mussel meal was 3 fat fritters, Sandra gave her piece of quiche the thumbs up, Chris got a big plate of lamb meat balls with salad, couple of the blokes got decent bowls of chips or wedges for $6 and $11 respective, and my burrito had enough mince and chilli to give me a fat tummy and fat lips all in the one go.
They've got a real chef in there, hand delivered our meals. 8/10. Good espresso too.
So, back off down the hill, the guys liked the good surface on the mountain road, and my fuel gauge shot back over 1/4 full, the change in gradient obviously playing havoc with the sender unit.
Just to be sure I topped up at G.A.S. at National Park, 11 litres to fill the tank, for 189 km travelled thus far, 5.8 litres/100 km. Quick check with ANZA this morning, they tell me the tank holds 18.2 litres, so even when the needle hits the red zone, I've still got plenty to go on. Interesting my workshop manual dosent say what the tank capacity is anywhere, but I have deduced from it I still had the fuel cock reserve to come and go on.
Another great autumn April day out, sharing with ex-Brit Chris on the chairlift, how fortunate us Kiwis are in access to stuff that's out of reach to a lot of folks in other countries.
And enjoyed his birthday shout at the Celtic de-brief too, but we all skipped on the chips.

Ngauruhoe from the chairlift

No comments:

Post a Comment