Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bella's Cafe

Had a nice feed last night, worth noting, as much for how it came about as it was in the eating.
During the week, Dompost's Life insert carried a story about Palmerston North's MasterChef NZ contestant, Michelle Berry, and her penchant for the pork loin main at Bella's, 2 The Square, PN.
If you're a late diner like me, you can usually find a park in George St, or the little street that joins George with the sw corner of the Square, but enter from the Square.
As she says, the dish is actually 3 servings of pork, a serve of fillet, a square of belly, and some perfectly done crackling, resting on a base of mustard slaw.
I had mine with the vegetable side, carrot, cauli, and something else, but not forgetable on account it was fresh and crunchy, just how I like it. Other sides, eg stringcut fries, salad, to name a couple are also available, $5 ea.
All menu mains were $35, and although a little lonely looking on a huge plate, I left the table pretty replete.
I chose a glass of Kingsmill Tippet's Dam 2007 pinot noir, and was delighted with the match with the meal. Critics have described this wine as dense and powerful, and amongst pinots I'd have to agree, solid rather than over-powering though. Also said to have a savoury edge, I'd call it more a slight age/fume, giving the long finish. Now one of my favorites anyway. $15 a glass here, but no regrets about that.
I'd forgotten about Michelle's recommendation of the chocolate cheesecake, but the maitre d` kindly offered a serve in a take-home bag, which I accepted, but didnt really need, the main was so enough on its own, and the cheesecake a bit too rich for me.
The service was excellent.
So was the coffee.
It was a dear enough meal for one, but I'll be back. Michelle says her hubby wont go past the eye fillet.
They even asked if I'd like the paper to read while I waited.
9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment