Tuesday, April 19, 2011

AB Circle Pro

These things have an almost cult following, so I've found, an AB "Circus" Pro more like.
They retail for something over $400 NZ, I had to bid $330 on TradeMe for mine, thats about the middle order quoting on the site for units in good condition second hand. Have since heard of successful bargaining with the retailer on return units at better than the above.
There seems to be a few sharks in the TradeMe pool too, same listings under different names.
Real question is, why are they so popular?
I was attracted because on TV, it looked like a 15 minute hell, and like all exercise disciples, I want to do something about my mid-riff, you can do it indoors when its too wet for other outdoors stuff, and it dosent rark up the carpet.
Does it work?
Another torture rack
A mate spotted it while visiting the other day, and he said none of them do, that's why they continue to sell!
Cant follow any logic in that, but for my two-bob's worth after 4 weeks, yes, I think there is some value.
First, 10-15 minutes on it hurts.
I do 8 exercises, 3 sets of ten as prescribed on the support DVD, with 6 sets of ten push-ups on it, spread between them.
Often I do this twice a day.
Second, I havent gained a hole on my belt, but its definitely easier doing up the trouser top button.
Third, I swim twice a week most weeks, and thats definitely coming easier, swimming's a lot to do with twist of the trunk towards the leading hand. So much of normal daily exertion gets easier with core trunk fitness too.
Fourth, you can get pretty warm after just 5 minutes on it, saves on home heating!
Just a couple of proviso's.
One, the old hoary chestnut, specificity. Its a big help, but its not a whole fitness spectrum panacaea. Drop running in favour of time on this machine and you'll lose aerobic levels.
Actually, to update on this comment, my running, like the swimming, is coming easier with improved core strength, just the huffing and puffing to work on now.
Other comments:
I weigh over 110kg, I'd say that's close to the machine's weight limit, the rollers creak a bit under me on some of the exercises. I'm also limited to the middle effort setting, (there are 3 settings determined by slope of the circle, flat to steep), my knees get some damage on the steep setting, which a lighter person probably wouldnt experience.
If youre buying one, get a later generation version with 2 rollers under each knee-pad.
For those that believe these things dont work, I'd comment that the torture level would have the average feckless Joe giving up in a week. Theyre also a bit boring, you cant watch TV while youre doing it, like you can with a treadmill or stationary bike.
On the other hand, 10-15 minutes isnt a big time impost, just do it enough for the hurt, but not so much it kills the motivation.
Train, dont strain.

No comments:

Post a Comment